A Practical Solution to Dealing with Sepsis
- Summarize and understand the FDA and AATB regulations regarding recovery of donors who are septic.
- Understand and discuss some of the "opportunities" to screen for sepsis and the advantages and disadvantages of each.
- Discuss a brief history of one tissue banks problems screening for sepsis and the reasons why the process needed to change.
- Describe how some organizations changed their screening process.
- Understand and summarize an example of one tissue banks use of a "sepsis algorithm" in screening.
- Understand the strengths and weaknesses of using an algorithm and the complementary role of the Medical Director in determining donor eligibility.
- Evaluate your own screening methods, determine if there are any weaknesses when screening for sepsis and be able to make suggestions for improvement.
Michael Bergevin, MD
Dr. Bergevin is an independent contractor and previously served as the Senior Medical Director for LifeNet Health. He is board certified in Anatomic/Clinical Pathology and Pediatric Pathology and has been in tissue banking for more than 15 years. He is presently serving on the AATB Physician's Council and the Certification Committee . He has served in the past as a member of the Scientific and Technical Affairs Committee (STAC), Planning Committee and Accreditation Committee.