Diagnosing Cardiac Disease and Abnormality Post-Valvectomy
Includes a Live Web Event on 10/06/2023 at 2:00 PM (EDT)
This presentation will review practices, challenges, and case studies surrounding post-valve donation pathological examination.
- Know about the destination of heart remnants
- Understand the importance of pathologic examination of heart tissue
- Recognize the limitations created by donation
- Recognize the connection between procurement, patient history, and pathologic diagnoses on heart remnants
- Review interesting diagnoses found in post-valve recovery donor hearts
Emily Duncanson, MD
Dr. Emily Duncanson is a cardiovascular and forensic pathologist. She is a graduate of the University of Minnesota Medical School. She completed an anatomic pathology residency at New York Presbyterian Hospital/Weill Cornell Medical Center in Manhattan and a two-year forensic pathology fellowship at the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner of the City of New York, including a year of forensic cardiovascular pathology. She has been a cardiovascular pathologist at the Jesse E Edwards Registry of Cardiovascular Disease since 2008 along with Dr. Shannon Mackey-Bojack. The Registry pathologists examine almost 2000 postmortem cardiac specimens per year, including over 1500 post-valve recovery donor hearts.